Friday, October 30, 2009

Sometimes it sucks to be a girl.

Yes, really. Being a woman and having heart disease means you have a pretty grim outlook. That being said it's not a death sentence. Us girls just need to get it together and do better. Here's why...

Did you know that women are more likely to die of massive heart attacks? Why? Because we don't go to the doctor! Women are used to pain and tend to brush off the symptoms of a heart attack. When we're having one we don't go to the ER because we're embarrassed or don't think it's that bad. Unfortunately, I'm guilty of this. By the time I made my first ER appearance I had a major problem. Here are some statistics to show you just how common us girls are and why we die more. Scary stuff, but if you know you can avoid it right? Right?!?

1. Women are more likely to die within one year of having a heart attack.
2. Traditionally, women are less likely to get state-of-the-art diagnostic care and treatments.
3. By the time women are treated their heart disease is normally much more advanced then in men. ( Wow. I fell right into that one didn't I?)
4. Women are diagnosed with heart disease just as much as men are. The numbers match people. Your heart doesn't care if you're a girl.
5. Women are scared of cancer. Unfortunately for us, you have much better odds of dying of heart disease then ALL other cancers COMBINED! Wow guys, that's a lot of women. Add up all the women that died of cancer last year. Many, many more died because of their hearts. Sad isn't it?
6. Last but not least, women are more likely to die in heart surgery. Statistically, once we're on the table the odds aren't in our favor for make it off it.

Now this scared me a little. It's also oddly comforting. At least I'm not the only stubborn, heardheaded woman out there who didn't pay attention to her heart. We're all like that! Honestly, I spent more time in one day thinking about my hair then I spent in my whole life thinking about my heart. Pitiful I know, but at least we're all guilty.

Know better, do better right? I myself was a victim of some of these things. Here's how my little list shakes down.

1. I didn't go to the doctor when I had all of the signs of heart problems. It never even occurred to me.
2. Once in the ER I was in bad shape. It took them longer to diagnose a heart attack because I was a young woman who looked healthy. If I was a man in his 50's I would have been diagnosed at the door.
3. They let me eat chicken fingers! Chicken fingers!!! While I was having a heart attack! Once I was admitted, they still didn't want to admit that a woman my age was in that much trouble. They even allowed me to eat a major cardiac no no while they waited for my test results. More then anything this shows that even the best doctors can be surprised.
4. My surgery, a cathe procedure, didn't go well. Once I was diagnosed my heart didn't cooperate at all. I had to have a stent put in because all other attempts to repair my artery failed. It works great now but at the time if scared the hell out of my poor husband.
5. Because I waited and didn't know better, heart disease has a very firm hold on my heart. It's rooted deep and has progressed at an alarming rate.

Well that's the bad news. See how being a woman can directly affect your chances of survival? Scary huh? Now I have some good news. Well, good for me at least. I have amazing doctors. I have a wonderful cardiologist and a whole team of doctors and nurses that run my cardiac rehab program. These guys are rockstars. They don't accept failure and have taken a special interest in me. Thanks guys! I'm also on the biggest, baddest, and best of everything. From the medication I take, to the rehab I'm going through, and even my stent in my heart. Absolutely everything is the best of the best. It's new, it's expensive, and best of all, it works! This DEFINITELY ups my odds. I have an incredible surgeon, state-of-the-art medication and implants (bionic woman anyone?), and I'm getting the after care that's crucial to recovery and prevention. Add to that my age, health, and sheer stubborn nature and you have the chances of me living a long time firmly in my favor.

The moral of the story is for us women to understand the enemy. Quit worrying if you're going to get cancer or hit by a bus. Don't do what I did and ignore what your body is telling you. Go to the doctor. Get your cholesterol level checked. Take care of yourself! I know we're busy bees but if you don't take care of your heart, who's going to take care of your children's? Odds are it will be your husband. Now isn't that embarrassing?

1 comment:

  1. Incredibly interesting. And the part about worrying about your hair and getting cancer, I could have written myself. I'm 56 & have a friend that's 59 that's having heart surgery tomorrow. She has always taken care of everyone else, but never herself. I'm shocked at the statistics for women. Why isn't it common knowledge?

    ReplyDelete