Friday, August 21, 2009

The Greatest Hits

I get alot of questions. I HAVE alot of questions so I can understand people's curiosity. It's normal and no, I'm not offended. Ask away. Maybe, if I'm lucky, I may help save someone's life. If you answer enough, someone who needs to hear it will. These are the questions I'm asked the most. The greatest hits and the most requested.

1. What does a heart attack feel like?
It's different for everyone. Men have textbook symptoms that we've all heard about. Us women have it a little rougher. In my case my symptoms were sudden and extreme. I had severe chest pain that felt like I swallowed a whole potato chip. I had the most extreme cold sweat I've ever experienced and I threw up. I couldn't catch my breath and was breathing shallowly. I "fainted" and when I came to I was confused and lethargic. I couldn't stand. There was no doubt there was something wrong but if you had asked if I thought I was having a heart attack I would have said no. I'm going to follow this post with another on this subject so keep your eyes peeled!

2. Heart jewelry and will I have to wear an ID tag.
I wish I knew folks. I want to say no. I don't think I'm going to need to wear a medical alert tag. If I'm told I need one I'll wear it without complaint but what I have is endured by thousands of healthy people that don't wear tags. I do have to carry cards on my person now that identify that I have a stent and an implant in my leg and their locations. I may eventually shop for a "nitro necklace." I have to carry nitro with me at all times and I keep it tied on a little string around my neck. No one notices it that way. I haven't bought a special necklace to carry the pills in because frankly, I hope I won't have to carry them much longer. If I'm told they're needed then I'll upgrade to a better fashion statement at that time. I'm not a big fan of the string.
As for the term "heart jewelry" well that's my little joke. I'm not being offensive or disrespectful. As far as I'm concerned my tiny stent saved my life so it may as well be solid gold. It's also as permanent as that tattoo you wish you hadn't gotten. It's mine, and now a part of my body, so I'm trying to make friends with it. The implant in my leg gets no such noble nickname. Mainly because it hurt like a mother and temporarily jacked up my bikini line. I didn't appreciate either so I tend to regard it like the mean kid in school. I won't pick on it if it won't pick on me. Truce.

3. Will I recover and how long will it take.
I have a doctor's appointment soon and this question is high on my list! How long?!? I start serious rehab in September and I have no idea how long it lasts. If I had to guess I'd say a few months. I expect to FULLY recover! I'm kind of shocked at the number of people that want to know the deal here but us humans are morbid. If I was in the other boat I would want to know what that poor sucker did wrong to. If you know you can avoid it right? So here goes. Yes, my chances of having another heart attack have greatly increased. Does this mean I'll have one? No. I have every intention of doing what I'm supposed to. I know I got my stent a little, okay alot, early but that doesn't mean it can't rattle around in there for decades. I have no intention of dying young and no one that's treating me expects anything less then a full recovery. What happened to me is unfortunately common enough to be common. It's treatable. Sometime in the future I will be a heart attack survivor that is perfectly healthy.

4. How did you have a heart attack at 30?!?
No one would love this answer more then me! We simply don't know. It's very rare but a healthy young adult CAN die of a heart attack. I was a smoker and nicotine was a major contributor. It was the bullet but we don't know what was the gun. Did I have a heart condition that was undiagnosed? Maybe. I have almost no family history of heart disease though. I could very well have had something wrong. Once I started smoking my heart had enough and the end result was obvious. Other then smoking I took very good care of myself so the doctors are leaning towards this explanation. I may never know. Whatever was wrong was fixed when they put in the stent. On a good note, if you're going to have a heart attack, 30 is a good age. Being young and in extremely good shape helped save my life. I was strong enough to hang in there until my husband could ride to the rescue and save my life. I also have youth on my side when it comes to recovery. So far I have healed quickly and completely. All little children bounce and I'm hoping some of that resilience will rub off on me! I'm the little kid of the cardiac care ward and I fully expect to get brushed off and set loose.

So that's it! I hope I was helpful. If you have a question just ask. It's easier for both of us then the round about route and I'd love to help. Thanks for all the support and emails guys!

1 comment:

  1. hi!!! i found your blog through Lettie's. I played softball with her growing up and have recently reconnected with her through the blooging world.

    i was so touched to hear about your story. my dad died of a heart attack not quite 2 years ago...and so many of the questions that you answered were things that I have always wanted to ask him.

    congrats on making it this far...i look forward to following your recovery journey!!!

    ReplyDelete