Tuesday, August 25, 2009

A Speed Bump

"How low?!?" the nurse asked me. With those words it was confirmed that the speed bump I had been suspecting I'd hit was a reality. I'm the not so proud owner of a blood pressure cuff and had to report a week's worth of reading to my doctor's office. After rattling off the numbers over the phone I'm told that my blood pressure is way to low. I hate to say it but thank goodness.

I feel awful. I'm exhausted. Every little task requires a pep talk before and a rest after. If I stand I'm dizzy and if I move to fast everything grays out. I understand that this first part of rehab is the hardest but this can't be normal. Everyone says you need a few weeks to rest and give your heart time to heal. The only problem is that they seem a lot perkier then me. At 30 shouldn't I be at the head of the class or something?

The phone call to the doctor's office has confirmed that my blood pressure is way to low and no, I'm not doing anything wrong. This is great news because it can be fixed! The suspected culprit is all of the medication I'm on. I set an alarm and wake up every morning to take 6 different kinds of medication. Some of these I'll have to take for the rest of my life but most are only temporary. Most of the pills are meant to keep my blood from clotting and my blood pressure down. One of these pills is an overachiever. Instead of my heart beating at a normal pace, it's glugging along like I'm asleep. I've earned myself and early trip to the doctor's office to scope out the problem and fix it.

I hate to say it but I'm excited! Not only will the problem get fixed, I get a trip out! This is big stuff right now! I've spent almost a month laying down. I've finished all of my books and beaten all of my games. I'm to tired to tinker with my sewing so my sister is saving my life and mailing me a sampler to embroider for my new niece. If they can fix the problem then I'll have a lot more freedom and the energy to enjoy it. It will also get my poor husband off laundry and grocery shopping duty. Right now I'm doing my level best to not get discouraged and to stay optimistic. This is just a little speed bump and once it's fixed I'll be back on track again.

No comments:

Post a Comment