Wednesday, November 4, 2009

How badly do you want to shave your legs?

Pretty bad. I'm a firm believer in if you look better you feel better. Even when I was in the hospital I wanted two things. My hair straightener and cute pajamas. Silly I know, but I feel a little perkier when I don't look like a sick person. It's a girl thing.

This week I discovered the other downside of Plavix and Aspirin. I nicked my ankle. Normally this wouldn't be a big deal. One hour, several paper towels and band aids, and bleeding through that glue stuff you use to close wounds it started to seem like a pretty big deal to me. By the time I got that itty bitty cut to stop I was seriously considering calling my doctor.

The next day at rehab I discovered something else new. Even itty bitty cuts can reopen and bleed anew. Into your sock. In the middle of your mandatory workout routine. Gross.

Seriously. Gross. The moral of the story is this. If you have to take Plavix and Aspirin listen closely to your doctor. Absolutely no unnecessary surgeries! Don't even get a cavity filled without talking to your cardiologist first. Your doctors can adjust your medication and monitor you closely if you have to have surgery so don't flip if you need something done. If you are unlucky enough to cut yourself, don't panic. The only thing that accomplishes is it makes your heart beat faster and your thinner, non clotting blood just bleeds more. Relax and if it looks deep, go to your doctor's office or the nearest ER. Tell them what medications you're taking and let them fix it.

Easy peasy. Most people only take Plavix for a year or two. We just have to hang in there that long right? No cuts, no dentists, no surgeries. Lots of bruises. It's a small price. Just be careful right?

No comments:

Post a Comment