Sunday, November 1, 2009

Well THAT'S reassuring!


Want to see what it looks like inside a cardiac rehabilitation gym? Sure you do! Wouldn't you rather see it on a blog then see it for yourself? You reeeeally don't want a membership at this gym. As exhibit A let me introduce you to the thing guaranteed to dampen even the most determined heart patient's spirit.

Tada! The crash cart! It's that blue thing on the left. See what's right next to it? Exhibit B, the scale! Every week you're required to weigh yourself while that crash cart leers at you. On my first day of cardiac rehab the crash cart was proudly pointed out by the staff. They told me it's only been used twice. Wow. Great. Really, thanks.

Now I'm sure twice is probably like almost never. To us heart patients sporting shiny new plastic pieces and pig valves, twice is hardly comforting. Are you seriously going to tell the guy with the pig valve twice? Seriously?!?

It makes no difference really. Everyone in the class has an unspoken agreement to ignore the cart. We give it a wide berth when we walk by and don't even look at it. The whole point of cardiac rehab is to teach us how to live long healthy lives. The guys and I tend to not linger on the thing that most points out our mortality. Working through the rehab is reminder enough.

I don't give that thing a second thought. I have to say though... I get a kick out of seeing visitors reactions to it. Maybe I'll even tell the next one it's only been used twice. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment