Sunday, November 8, 2009

Disgusting

People can be so gross. I'm not a fussy person but what happened to me today was so disgusting I just had to tell you about it. I was waiting in line at Publix when the lady behind me sneezed on me! No wait, it gets better. This wasn't a little sneeze. It was an all out achoo, vapor and all. You know how when you're really surprised or grossed out you just kind of freeze for a moment? I'm standing there, trying to figure out if that really just happened, while she's wiping off my arm and apologising. So, so sorry. Yada, yada. Swine flu, yada yada.

Whoa. back up. The snot woman was going on and on explaining how she was getting over the SWINE FLU and she didn't THINK she was contagious anymore. Dis-gus-ting. I mean really?!? You're just going to go out with the swine flu and sneeze on people? You're contaminated! Stay home for goodness sake and keep your germs to yourself! Good grief.

After a shower and about dipping myself in sanitizer I'm posting this to tell you why this may be a big deal for some people. Swine flu makes a healthy person absolutely miserable. It can kill children and people with preexisting conditions. What are those? People with lung, kidney, and heart problems. People with weakened immune systems. Pregnant women. People recovering from illness or injury. People like me. I'm one of the "healthy adults" that qualifies for the H1N1 vaccine. While I'm getting better, I'm not 100% yet. If I get sick with "the swine" I could potentially have a big problem.

See why it's so gross? I know you need groceries to but we have to talk. Stay home! You don't know if the person you just sneezed on is strong enough to fight off the swine flu. For that matter, here are some other tips. Cover your mouth! Didn't your mom teach you anything? Carry hand sanitizer, and use it often. Avoid close contact with people until you're better.

That's not a lot is it? I seriously hope the swine flu lady feels better soon. It's no fun being sick and we've all been there. I just want her to get someone else to pick up her chicken soup. It's an inconvenience, I know, but if you're sick you should really keep your bugs to yourself. If you happen to be one of the "high risk" people that are encouraged to get vaccinated, please do. I know it gets to be pretty miserable being poked and tested but really, what's two more right? Take your shots, get your cartoon band aid, and give yourself more personal space while waiting in line.

No comments:

Post a Comment