Thursday, April 8, 2010

Dew Drop Day!


To the tune of I'm a Little Teapot...
I'm a little Dew Drop short and stout.
Here is my chili dog with sauerkraut.
When I'm really hungry hear me shout
TAKE me to Dew Drop and roll me out!

I really, really love the Dew Drop. When I wear my hot pink Drop tshirt I actually get stopped and people yell Deeew Drop! I think it's the only time wearing a tshirt with a hot dog on the back is cool. I ate here with my family as a child and as a teenager I had lunch here with my grandfather. The Dew Drop was an after church treat or a chance to catch up with friends. Even though I have to be careful with what I eat, I still love them and go a few times a year. What do I order?


A chili dog of course! Good grief you would have thought that someone that refuses to eat beef would be a little pickier with their mega treat. You'd be wrong! That hot pink hot dog is a tradition!

Unfortunately, after a really great visit with a good friend, I just had to go home and Goggle. What's IN a hot dog? O.M.G. You really don't want to know. It's the most disgusting thing I've ever read. We're not even going there because I'd likely be scarred for life for repeating what I found. It's just wrong on so many levels.

To add insult to injury, my lunch packed over 2,400 mg of sodium. That's more then one day's worth and it's loaded with fat and calories. A chili dog is NOT healthy. This I knew but I didn't realise how unhealthy it really was. Sadly, I have one of two options. I still really love the Dew Drop but I either have to go as a very special treat or not at all. Sorry Dew Drop. You'll be sorely missed. Do any of my heart buddies have a special, bad for you treat? What's your kryptonite guys?

4 comments:

  1. oh, the dew drop! that seriously just made me nostalgic for mob-town. (although i haven't eaten the dew drop dogs since about 1989...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My uncle was a meat inspector for the FDA when he was in college a million years ago. He was in college studying to be a large animal vet. He raised his own cows, chickens, lambs, etc. for eating.

    After his stint with the FDA he was seventy before he would eat a hot dog. And then he would only eat one he had made.

    I would have a hard time giving up my twice a year hot dog. (Our traditional meal on Halloween and once in the summer.) I try not to think about how unhealthy something so tasty is. Maybe your doctor would allow you to go once a year - if you're really, really good.

    Good luck to you. Your story is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! That's why we do "chili dogs" with: Turkey Dog and Turkey Chili :)

    Calories 70
    Total Fat 5.0 g
    Sodium 370 mg

    That's the frank :)

    And, I only have one - because, that's enough to get the craving away from me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. so we will start a new place to go, with salads! the company is all that matters!!!

    ReplyDelete