Thursday, April 1, 2010

Is anyone else having trouble sleeping?

I'm not sleeping. I've always been a night person but this is extreme even for me. I've got my theories on this but I'm wondering if my many heart buddies out there are having the same problem. Here's what I'm assuming is going on.

Medication - I'm on a ton of pills (like most of us are) to control my heart and prevent clots from forming. Almost every bottle has fatigue as a side effect. Great. I wake up at 6am and take my pills everyday. I swear when they start to wear off I perk up. I have hard, slow mornings but by the time the sun goes down I'm wired. It doesn't go away either. At 4am I can easily still be up and productive.

Heart events - I had my heart attack in the evening. Twice I've woken up to severe chest pain and had to take nitroglycerin. Corey managed to corner me and get a blood pressure reading once. 176 over 120. Scary. My blood pressure is always higher at night along with my pulse rate. It's like I'm a car stuck revving. Statistically, most heart attacks occur late at night or first thing in the morning. I wonder why that is?

Anxiety? - I hate to admit this one but hey, anyone else anxious? I lost my mother, far to young, while she was sleeping. Add to that my own heart issues and I don't seem really inclined to lay down. Will I wake up sick, will I wake up at all?!? I'm not going down like that if I can help it. I have more chest pain at night so why not be awake and prepared for it?

The chicken or the egg - If you're getting an average of 4 hours of sleep at night what do you do? Take a nap! I tend to sleep off the worse effects of the pills. By midday, when they've really kicked in, I'm crashed out for about 2 hours. By the time Corey is home from work I'm perky and bouncing all over the place again. Crashing during the day = up all night.

Any ideas? Anybody? Are you guys running into any of this? I've tried not napping and making myself lay down. No TV, no internet. Nothing. Still awake. I don't like taking pills so I haven't tried sleep aids. I'm seriously considering taking my required medications in the evening instead of first thing in the morning. How do you switch though?!? The next time I go to the cardiologist I'll have to ask. I know to never miss a dose but is it safe to take them at a 12 hour interval once?

Just like with all posts, I'm JUST a blogger. Ask your doctor before making your own decisions. You can bet your bottom that's what I'll be doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment