Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Ouch!


My husband really hates pills. Especially pain medication but he WILL take Goody's. I don't have any idea why. "What if I stomped on an Advil? Would you eat the darn thing then?" Nope. I called the doctor to make sure he could have it (I can't.) and was on a Goody's hunt. Here's a tip heart buddies! Goody's has Aspirin, Acetaminophen, and caffeine. It's not our kind of thing. If you love it as much as my husband does, call your doctor first. He may say yes or recommend an alternative for you.

What brought on the Goody's hunt? Our boat finally bit one of us. Of course it was Corey, was there ever any doubt? The poor guy can't seem to make it 6 months without a dust up of some kind. He fell down into the engine room hatch and landed hard on his foot. Ouch! The swelling and bruising were immediate and he couldn't put any weight on it. The problem? This happened Sunday and the doctor's office is closed. Sorry blog friends. This is why I've been absent for a bit. Corey and I had a quick conference and decided that we weren't heading to the ER. We're both crazy impressed with our local hospital but what a way to ruin your Sunday! We'd wait till Monday morning and visit his own orthopedic surgeon then. Crazy huh? He's been through this so often we have our own favorite surgeon. Really, this is the kind of injury that calls for an urgent care visit and not the ER. At worst, it was a small fracture. Why clog up the ER with this kind of problem? As one of those busy doctors saved my life, I'm on Corey's side of the argument now. If it can wait, go to urgent care or your own doctor. This obviously does NOT apply to chest pain! I'm talking busted feet and sprained ankles. The ER is built for emergencies. Car accidents, heart attacks, and severe injuries. It's NOT built for a bad case of the flu. Sorry.

Corey and I settle in and I made him an ice pack. Pretty soon it was evident that one pack wasn't going to cut it. It was swollen everywhere! No problem...

Like my solution? I dragged over an old ice chest dunked his foot. The leftover beer and Diet Coke floating from our last boat ride just cracks me up! The swelling went way down so at least that was helpful.

Monday morning Corey was visiting his ortho surgeon. That giant paw of his is bashed up but not broken. He'll have some wicked bruising and swelling but it should heal just fine. He got fitted for a brace that looks like a shoe and sent on his way with a warning to check back if he's still hobbling in a week or two. There may be a small fracture the x-ray missed.

We've spent the last few days watching our insanely giant DVD collection and alternately icing and propping up his banged up paw. A sunny deck in a beautiful marina isn't exactly a hardship even if the ice was. He's BACK at work today! The man is tough! Hmm, I'm thinking tomorrow I may post on bruising first aid. As heart patients we get a lot of them huh? Might as well know how to fix them!

1 comment:

  1. ouch indeed! i was in that boat - pun SO not intended - last august. see, i'm one of those people for whom the curbs are all painted bright colors, because one hour after we arrived in atlanta for a weekend of walking around and going to shows, i fell off a curb and just sprained the daylights out of my left ankle. it was BAD, too, to the point where i passed out briefly from pain! but my weekend was NOT going to be ruined by a hurt foot. i got a brace and some advil from the CVS, and we set off down peachtree street. i was slow, but determined, and the weekend was saved.

    hope your man feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete