Tuesday, May 4, 2010

I love you iPhone!


If you guys haven't guessed, my Internet is down. Go ahead, big frown for me. :( Our marina's wireless connection is no longer. It was a sad, sad day and we're still recovering from the loss but we'll recover and have something set up soon. Until then I'm blogging from the marina office for the next few days. As I type this I have the marina mascot, Chuck the fat cat, curled up in my lap and I'm listening to the boys bang out boat repairs in the shipyard. A marine radio is tuned to the Coast Guard station and they're discussing the oil spill in the gulf. I stinkin' love this place. There's nautical charts and tide prediction charts everywhere.

So what have I been doing for almost 3 weeks without Internet? Getting creative with my iPhone of course! I loved it before but I REALLY love it now! It's how I've been responding to all of you guys on my facebook friend page. I've been doing some tinkering to my trusty phone and you'll never guess how helpful this little guy can be!

Do you have heart disease? Get a smartphone! Right now! Go, go, go! We all know a phone is one of your first lines of defense against a heart attack. Calling 911 quickly can absolutely save your life. Being a techie girl, I started snooping through the app store for my iPhone. Oh my goodness did I find stuff! Here are just a few ways my cell phone is helping me stay on track...

-It's a pedometer! That counts calories! Yay!
-Blood pressure tracker! I can record my bp, pulse, and medical stats all in one place!
-Guess who's got a food journal now... okay, get your own downloaded!
-I have my ICE contacts stored so they're the first thing you see. VERY helpful!
-I have a pill log! All my doctor or pharmacist has to do is tap to see everything I've been prescribed, dosage, and even schedules and pill colors. Cool.
-I have a medical dictionary! Never again will I be flipped out by a Web MD search, the website guaranteed to convince you you're dying. Just a type and a tap and a plain English definition pops up. Easy peasy!
-I've got an exercise log/schedule! It tracks what I do and I can type in what I'm planning to do for the rest of the week!
-One of my favorites, restaurant guide! Want to know the healthiest thing to order when you're out? Ta da!

If I'm in trouble, my iPhone has become an amazing tool to help get me on my way to better fast. All anyone has to do is look at it to have my numbers pull up. All any doctor has to do is tap and everything from my medical history to my drug allergies is available. See how this is helpful? What if you're not conscious? If your ICE contact isn't there yet, or worse, hasn't been notified? You phone can be speaking for you. If the ER doctor has an idea what's wrong you can be treated faster and have a better shot at a full recovery. Think of it as an incredibly detailed medical alert tag you carry all the time. Pretty cool!

All this and the thing is pink, connects to facebook, delivers the news, and has games. If I download Bejeweled forget it. I may sleep with this thing under my pillow.

Thanks for being so patient guys. Really. Now that I know I can pop into the office I'll be up and running again! Pretty soon an new wireless connection will be established and it'll be back to business as usual. Hope to hear from you guys soon! Anyone else out there using your smartphone in a smarty pants way?

1 comment:

  1. i really can't remember life without my iphone. i live by that thing. it's just amazing. since i'm the law-school freak person, i have the internal revenue code, the bankruptcy code, the louisiana civil code and the constitution apps on my phone. i personally love "plants vs. zombies" best, though.

    glad you're back blogging! :)

    ReplyDelete