Monday, May 31, 2010

Nitro. Part 1


Some things that treat heart disease have stood the test of time. My surgery, implants, and education are all new. My first line of defense is over 125 years old. It works so well and so quickly that heart patients still reach for it first before they even call for help. When I'm flat on my back on the floor this tiny pill becomes my Alpha and Omega. My please, please, please. My warning shot. I'd like you to meet nitroglycerin.

Last week I got caught in the rain on my walk. It felt so good (and so did I!) that by the time I got to the marina's dock boards I kicked off my flip flops and jogged the rest of the way. Corey had stepped outside to see me and I jumped right into his arms. There's something to be said about marrying a man that will catch his soaked to the skin wife and kiss her back in the rain. 20 minutes later he's asking me where my pills are. I honestly don't know what happened. One minute I was fine. Happy, calm, and flirting with Corey. The next I'm pouring sweat and on the floor. I'm not going to lie to you guys. Chest pain freaking hurts. Bad. It's a sharp, stabbing pain and it feels "hot" for lack of a better word. I felt queasy first, then a little dizzy, then I noticed I was starting to sweat. Not good. It's not much of a warning. Sharp stabbing pain then I'm making friends with the carpet with Corey hovering and clutching his cell phone. I took one nitro tablet and sweat it out on the floor. One and done. The pain fades, then goes away completely. I bumped Corey with my foot to get him to stop pacing and sat up. See? Nothing to worry about. Nooo biggie. I got up slowly and called my cardiologist. After hanging up with him I kissed my husband and made lunch. The day goes on right?

I'm fine. I have something called heart spasms. It seems my heart likes to lock up and squeeze itself every once in a while. So far my stent has survived the squeeze (It better!) and is still working well. If I keep my nitro tablets close to me I can treat the pressure to my heart. The pain is just a side effect. It lets me know I need a little outside help. What happens is my heart doesn't get enough blood and oxygen due to the squeeze. It starts to race and the pressure builds as it tries to do it's job while starving itself. My cardiologist is well aware of this little "problem" and I call him if it happens. We're treating it aggressively and it IS helping. The problem is knowing what is just spasm pain and what is an attack. If you don't have a cardiologist on speed dial then you need to go to the hospital. Period. There is no book, no set rules for every episode. I talk to my doctor monthly and see him almost as much. He has 9 months worth of heart data on me that make it okay for me to call him first if I only take one pill.

Part one of this blog post just covered the why. Part 2 will cover the how. You'll be surprised! It's an interesting little story! I do want to say this though. If you ever have chest pain, call 911. Immediately. It can absolutely save your life. I just can't say it enough guys. Want to know something else? I'm grateful for this little pill. In a way I'm even grateful for the chest pain. It makes kissing Corey in the rain that much more precious. I don't think about how it ruins my day. I think about how it's giving me one more day pain free and able to do the things I love with the people I love more. Sometimes gifts have a price. This may happen, sure. Who knows for how long? It's not the end of the world though and with nitro I'm fine. Good as new and ready to go so stay tuned! Part 2 coming soon!

3 comments:

  1. glad the pills worked so well. and i must say i'm pretty much in awe of your poise in reading all of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh girl, there's no poise! Just a hefty sense of humor and an oh well attitude! A 31 year old on the floor. Jeez. If you can't laugh at yourself what's the point? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow girl, that's powerfull stuff! You are very brave, a lesser woman would have caved in and felt sorry for herself by now...You instead went out and got a job and walk and even run in the rain... good for you. I'm going to share this with my cardiologist colleagues but the printer is out of ink. Love you Suzanne... and Bob too... it's his birthday today 7/31/2010

    ReplyDelete