Thursday, May 27, 2010

Oh Deer!!!


I'd never have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself. COREY GOT BOMBED BY A DEER!!! I.`Kid. You. Not. Three dogs flushed a small doe out of the trees and chased it into the marina. It hid in the bushes near where my husband was standing and then burst out right in front of him! Deer bomb! It clattered around the side of the building and then into the boatyard. Here's a good example of our faces = O.O

A deer? Here? Really? Once we managed to close our mouths and get over the shock of a large critter running at my husband we took off in pursuit. We followed the little guy's tracks and they ended here! It jumped in the water!!! She must have been pretty flipped out and tried to stop. Does that look like a deer skid mark to anyone else besides me? To make the evening even stranger, the Fairhope police made an appearance a short while later. Someone had called and reported a small deer "stuck" in the water. It seems every time the police show up it's because of a critter bomb of some kind. Last year's Gatorgeddon comes to mind.

This random guy caught this gator while he was fishing last year. He brought it to us because we were "experienced" mariners and he thought we'd know what to to. Sure we did! The police were once again involved and it was decided to let the little guy go. It's his marina to. Before you ask, I loved him! Call me crazy but I think he's cute. The gator, not Random Guy. Corey deposited the gator on the beach and all was well. At least for the gator. (Spooky ghost story voice) But if you were to dip your toes on our beach, WATCH OUT! He's awfully angry... Kidding, kidding. I've seen him several times. He's a sissy and swims away from pelicans. He's not dangerous at all.

Anyway, back to the deer. She's apparently fine. Deer can swim. Am I the only person on earth that didn't know that? She was last seen paddling up the creek and likely got out at the nearest low spot. I wish I had a pho-doe of her but I was too busy staring like an idiot at the deer clattering around. Sorry. Silly me. I promise to do better the next time a large animal runs at one of us in this crazy place we call home.

1 comment:

  1. gaah! sounds like the apartment i left behind in the wilds of louisiana. there were regularly possums and raccoons running all over creation. one night i couldn't get out of the parking lot to go to dinner because a deer had decided to lay down in the driveway and i didn't know how to get it to move. it was then that i realized that i am not meant to live in nature. give me the concrete jungle ANY day. :)

    ReplyDelete