Thursday, February 18, 2010

Lent

Mardi Gras is over and Lent is here. Do you know why you give things up for Lent? It's fasting. You're supposed to identify with Christ's suffering, learn self discipline, and pay for your sins. That's why you give up something you love like chocolate, coffee, or meat. You have to feel the loss. If you're not suffering a little bit, you're not doing it right. So that's what's up.

What am I giving up? Sigh. I'm really, really sorry Jesus but nothing. Don't get too huffy people. In the past 7 months this is what I've given up...

Smoking
Mammals
Fat
Salt
8 inches of hair
Jogging
My gym
Ice Cream
Booze
Regular Coca Cola
"Real" coffee, not decaf
My job
Traveling
"Stress"

I could go on but you get the point. Other then an addiction to cute pajama bottoms and a nail biting habit I've got nothing. Some of those things I can get back but quite a few are gone for good. Does permanent loss count for Lent? No? Sorry. :(

I am feeling Lent though. I walked right by all that Valentine's candy at clearance prices yesterday. Sigh. All that chocolate wasting away in it's heart shaped boxes. I also treated all of my moonpies like Christmas presents. It's more fun to give then receive. I didn't eat ONE!!! That's a hefty accomplishment for a girl during Mardi Gras.

But what about this year? How's this? I share some of my healthy tips with you! Check back and I'll post the food, fun, and workouts I've been picking up in the past 7 months. I've learned some handy things! Considering that I'm not even Catholic and don't really HAVE to give up anything, this sounds like a good compromise. Maybe some of you guys can pick up something to do instead of giving up something! Now wouldn't that be fun?

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you have Lent covered for about the next 10 years, Gillian...but I'll save you a moonpie for Easter as a reward for being so good this year if you want me to!

    ReplyDelete