Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Low dose or no dose?


Many people take a low dose aspirin every day to help combat heart disease. Good for you! One tiny pill can save a life either by it's long term benefits or by taking it when you're actually having a heart attack. A bottle is always a good thing to have in your medicine cabinet if you're worried about your heart. It's also been thought to reduce your risk of colon cancer.

Should you take it every day though? The jury is out. Some doctors thing the risks of bleeding ulcers, bleeding on the brain, and other side effects outweighs the benefits for healthy people. After all, if you're in good shape, why take something that can cause harm?

Almost every doctor will agree that an aspirin regimen is needed if you've had a heart attack or an ischemic stroke. That's a stroke caused by a blood clot or a blockage. A brain heart attack if you will. Aspirin acts as a blood thinner and that's why doctors recommend it to patients with clotting problems. It can reduce the risk of another event. I take an 81mg pill daily for my aspirin regimen. My doctor strongly urged me to continue taking it and I agree with him. For me, the benefits far outweigh the risks. This tiny pill could save my life. I also carry them in a fob on my keychain. If I ever have another heart attack and I'm away from home I can take a dose while I'm waiting for help to arrive. Be prepared right?

So should you take an aspirin regimen? I thought about putting some of the age guidelines up... sorry but no. Not yet anyway. Everything I learn about the guidelines just brings up more questions. Technically, I'm in the NO age group. I still needed it. See what I mean? Here's what I suggest. Ask your doctor at your next appointment. What do you think about aspirin? Should I start taking it? That's easy to say. Your doctor will give you a yes or no and you can pick up your bottle just about anywhere. It's cheap, it's easy, and it just may save your life. Good odds in my book!

1 comment:

  1. I take my low dose aspirin every morning. And, carry three with me at all times (in the event...).

    ReplyDelete