Monday, January 24, 2011

A Great Blue Morning

There are mornings that you just have to take a moment and soak in how lucky you are. I live on a beautiful boat on the southern part of the Great American Loop. My husband and I have jobs that allow us to live and work with all things marine AND we're surrounded by wildlife in their natural environment. It's amazing!

I took my coffee onto my back deck to enjoy the boat rock and avoid my grump-a-saurus of a husband in the morning. The poor guy is unbearable until his caffeine kicks in. After five years of marriage I think it's precious when he's all confused and grumpy but I still keep my distance.

The marina is an estuary for all intents and purposes so when I heard clacking on the dock boards behind me I froze. You never know how a wild animal will react if you startle it. Imagine my suprise when this great blue heron strolled right up and stopped in front of me! My feet were propped on my railing so we were literally toe to toe. I remained frozen while he looked at me with his funny colored eyes for the longest time.

Eventually he ambled away and I ran for my camera. I managed to get this shot for you guys! Look at his face and you can tell I'm starting to piss him off. He's using our docks to fish for his breakfast so I backed up and left him to it. I've got a soft spot for the water birds in my marina. Isn't he gorgeous? Seriously guys, how lucky am I?!

3 comments:

  1. that was always my favorite part about visiting my grandparents in indian rocks beach, florida - they would get herons and egrets in their backyard all the time. that and the fresh key limes that my grandmother used to make pie.

    aw. i miss the gulf...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I wouldn't give to be as tall and slender as that dude...it's so nice you get to see animals so often!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky you. We get lots of geese here, then my dog has to bark at them and make lots and lots of noise. But to be face to face with a heron-awesome, and a little scary from the size of that beak.

    ReplyDelete