Friday, January 7, 2011

Just have a cold.

Home! The Man and I took a lot of time off to travel all around and we were happy to see our cozy boat in our pretty marina. It's nice to get back to work you enjoy and your own routine. Am I right?

I woke up after ONE day back at work to a runny, sneezy nose. "Ugh. Nose! What the hell are you doing?!?"
"Ha ha! I'm going to ruin your Christmas!" I had a cold. After practically being chased out of the office with a can of Lysol I was parked on the sofa and pouting. Stinkin' great. That's okay though. I'm prepared this time!

The last time I got sick I had a narrow miss with a hospital bed(You're not putting me in there!) and I got needles up my nose. Heads up heart buddies. Runny nose + blood thinners = nosebleeds. DON'T blow your nose. It's a super bad idea. Trust me on this.

The awful, miserable, crappy truth is if you're any kind of heart patient like me you're going to JUST have a cold. There's not a lot of treating and medicating you can do. I didn't know this the last time and took my regular dose (a ton) of decongestants. That cranked up my blood pressure, I felt worse, then I almost landed in the hospital. Admitting my stupidity was one of the only things that kept me out.

This time around I called my doctor and got approved to take Coricidin. It's built for us heart people once they tell you you can have it. There's no decongestants or fever reducers in there to tinker with your blood pressure or mess with your medication. By the second day of the Coricidin treatment the only good it could have done me is if I'd punted the box across the room. THAT might have felt good. It's not that the stuff doesn't work, it's that the "good" stuff works BETTER! So long Nyquil. It was fun while it lasted.

I also went the homeopathic route. Shower Soothers that turned my shower into a giant cough drop, saline nose spray, Vicks Kleenex (I love you so much!), vitamin C, and comfort food. My fever treatment was frozen yogurt and my sleep aid was called sleep when you can.

The Man and I did spend our Christmas laying low but we both recovered. HE got NyQuil, the lucky duck. We're both back at work and feeling froggy so I'm no worse for wear for missing out on the "good" stuff. The fact that I listened to the doctors this time and avoided all scary complications just proves it worked! Just have a cold... imagine that!

3 comments:

  1. the simplest advice can be the hardest to follow, eh? applies to so many things in life...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't envy you...Nyquil is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vicks Kleenex????? I am currently at home, dying with what I am sure is a life-threatening illness (ie - a bad cold and/or sinus infection with a fever). I could totally use some Vicks Kleenex! Who knew???? I am SUCH a horrible patient! I am totally going to have to stock up on the special Kleenex for the next time around! :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete