Monday, January 4, 2010

The Motivator


I can not believe I am putting this picture up. Behold. This is what almost 40 extra pounds will look like if you're only 5'2. This was taken in April 08 while I was visiting my sister at the Grand Canyon. When I got home and saw this I actually cried a little.

Why? Do I look healthy to you?!? That belly! Those boobs! Uh, even my face is all puffy. After years of being a picky eater I discovered food. I became a bit of a foodie as a result. They say good cooks are good eaters. I'm a good cook. Darn it.

This is just one more reason I'm so lucky. I had a time bomb in my chest and didn't know it. What if it had gone off then? Would I have been strong enough to survive it? Would I have even had a heart attack if I hadn't gunked up my arteries stuffing my face?

Here's the good news. The weight DOES come off! I kicked the Coca Cola habit, hit the gym, and started eating better. I dropped weight fast at first then at a slow steady pace. In one year I was leaner and meaner and in really good shape. I was jogging for the first time ever and planning my first 5k.

My big trick was no trick. Diets don't work. I gave up a junk thing a week and replaced it with something I liked that was healthy. I hung in there at the gym and eventually I quit puffing like a whale. Hopefully, the same approach will work again! What is broken down CAN be built back up! This picture is proof that I've done it once before. This time I'm just doing it backwards. Gaining weight and muscle! We'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment